top of page

Color Me Raw! Getting Back to Organic Food

Color Me Raw! Getting Back to Organic Food

Growing up in Florida (Riviera Beach), my grandmother had an organic vegetable garden in her back yard. She also had a variety of fruit trees; mango, orange, grapefruit, fig, lime and avocado. I always looked forward to going over grandma and grandpa’s house to get vegetables and fruit from their back yard and to see them of course.

I remember during the fall, we had fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice. If my grandmother and grandfather wanted sugar cane or corn (organic), they would drive about 80 miles to Belle Glade to pick or purchase it; and I looked forward to the ride. I must tell you, the soil in Belle Glade was black (literally) and rich in minerals! The corn was soooo sweet; we ate it raw! My mouth is watering right now thinking about it. I can’t say that about the food in the grocery store. What has happened to the food?

I don’t think it’s anyone fault in particular, it’s a consequence of lifestyle change, supply and demand dynamics. But it is our cooperative chance to take action and support our local organic farmers. It is unfortunate that organic farmers have been shoved to the side for a commerce only system.

Buying organic food promotes a less toxic environment for all living things. With only 0.5 percent of crop and pasture land is organically prepared, according to USDA that leaves 99.5 percent of farm acres in the U.S. at risk of exposure to noxious agricultural chemicals. Scientists now know what we eaters have known all along: organic food often tastes better. It makes sense that strawberries taste yummier when raised in harmony with nature, but researchers at Washington State University just proved this as fact in lab taste trials where the organic berries were consistently judged as sweeter.

People are rediscovering the benefits of buying food from local organic farmers. It is fresher than anything in the supermarket and it tastes better and more nutritious. Buying directly from organic farmers helps them stay in business. So let’s get back to our organic roots by supporting our local organic farmers. It will truly make your soul rejoice!

Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page